Monday, 24 March 2014

Review: Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Publisher: Dutton Adult
Published: 4 June 2013
Series: Age of X #1
Genre: Dystopia
Format: ebook
Source: Own Copy
Rating: 2 out of 5
Book Buy Links: AmazonUK / Amazon US

Blurb
In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of Xseries, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such megasuccesses: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.

Review
First of all let me say that I didn’t finish this book, I only made it to 39%, so my review and rating is on the part that I read.

I had a problem with this book for the get go and that problem was the world building. GotG is set in the future but we are not told anything about this new world. Now I hate it when an author dumps a load of info on you but some background knowledge wouldn’t go a miss, but we aren’t told anything. Now up to the point where I read you get a vague idea of what is going on but not enough and this is a shame because it looks to be an interesting future.

The next thing that didn’t grab me were the characters. Justin, I didn’t particularly like and Mae was just nothing, I didn’t like her but I didn’t dislike her also. Maybe this is to do with where they geographically grew up because one of the other characters in the story, Tessa, grew up in a different region was very likeable. The story is also told from the third person POV which I don’t think helped at all.

The last thing was the actual murder plot. This felt like a back story and was so insignificant that I forgot all about it until it was mentioned again. Then I would be all ‘oh yes they are meant to be solving a murder’.

Whilst reading I felt rather mechanical in turning the pages rather than wanting to know what is going to happen next. I found that my attention drifted and finally I decided life was too short to read books that don’t hook me when there are so many other books out there that will. Maybe this is just a case of it’s me not you because I one of my friends has read GotG and loved it. With that I am giving this book 2 stars.


2 comments:

  1. I finished this one but didn't like it either. Big disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were disappointed in this one, I confess I really liked it, it was so different.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...